There are a million ways to wear a pocket square. Pocket squares are worn by young hipsters, fashionistas, old school dandies, elegant businessmen, our grandfathers, you, me… The only important thing to know is how to wear it elegantly. It’s up to you to pick a color, the pattern, the fold, and the clothes that you are going to wear with it. To wear a pocket square is before all a question of taste. But we do have some bits of advice for you on how to wear a pocket square, for you to avoid any kind of misstep.
To do or not to do:
1. A jacket is naked without a pocket square. To wear a pocket square every time you put on a jacket, that seems quite elementary to us.
2. A pocket square can be worn alone, it’s sometimes enough to make your whole outfit seems elegant. If you are wearing it with a tie, make sure that the colours work well together (more on that below).
3. Have pocket squares made from different fabrics in your closet, like cotton, linen or silk. This will allow you to change your pocket square depending on the fabric of your tie, jacket… If you have just started wearing pocket squares, the first one to have is a white pocket square, whether it be silk, linen, or cotton. It’s the easiest way to start wearing a pocket square without making any mistake.
4. Pair your pocket square with your shirt, your shoes, your socks, your belt, your hat, your gloves – but not everything at once.
5. Your pocket square and tie or bow tie should not be made from the same cloth. A pocket square is supposed to complement and bring contrast to your outfit. It is better to match a colour of your pocket square to a colour of your tie. Play around with fabrics. If you’re wearing a silk tie, pick a cotton or linen pocket square. If you’re wearing a cotton bow tie, choose a silk pocket square, a choice that will show that you know how to dress well. This rule should also apply to your jacket. If you’re wearing, for example, a tweed jacket, the lightness of a silk pocket square will make your outfit shine.
6. Carry yourself with confidence when you are wearing a pocket square.
7. Don’t use overly complicated folds when wearing a pocket square, you will look overdone.
8. Be creative and remember, the simpler the better.